Oedema is the medical term for fluid retention and it has nothing to do with how much you drink over the festive season! What is true is that most people do not drink nearly as much as they should or, at any rate, too much of the wrong fluid.
Drink water, plenty of it – it’s good for you and it’s free. Oedema however, while having nothing to do with your fluid intake, has everything to do with malfunctioning innards. The condition always appears first in the feet and ankles because that’s where the excess fluid settles.
Oedema is common to people who are on their feet a lot while, in women, it might indicate the onset of menstruation. If you’ve ever felt “bloated” just before your period starts, that’s a mild form of oedema.
It is almost certainly the result of sluggish kidneys which are not eliminating waste water efficiently. However, the reason why your kidneys are not functioning efficiently could be because of an externally induced injury – being hit in the back where your kidneys are most vulnerable, or the cause could be internal either because of prescription drugs or because of diet deficiency.
Severe fluid retention might be a symptom of a disease, in which case a doctor should be consulted.
8 Natural Remedies For Water Retention And Bloating
- Salt is the most efficient medium in the body’s capacity to retain fluids, so it fluid retention is a problem, salt intake should be kept to a minimum.
- Simple oedema, due to poor drainage, can be treated with diuretic herbs which promote urine secretion in a safe and effective manner.
- Bedstraw is a powerful diuretic which can be used to combat in flamed kidneys, bladder and urinary tracts. Combine it in equal parts with cornsilk and horsetail for an effective, pleasant tea.
- Birch aids the urinary system by reducing uric acid. Taken on its own it is also effective in reducing fluid retention.
- Cornsilk has a marked action on the kidneys, neutralizing and promoting excretion of waste products containing uric acid.
- Dead nettle is an excellent herb which has a powerful cleansing effect, ridding the body of unwanted fluids, including phlegm.
- Horsetail’s tonic makes it invaluable in the treatment of fluid retention, incontinence and bed wetting in children. It is very rich in silica, a mineral constituent of skin and nails.
- Juniper berries are a potent diuretic due to the volatile oil they contain. Its antiseptic properties help maintain the healthy function of the kidneys, bladder and urinary passages.