In a recent book published by the head of the Department of Hygiene at the University of Pennsylvania, a list of medical plants is given in which a large number of vegetables are included as having medicinal properties.
Too many of us are inclined to eat vegetables merely because they taste good, and not with a view to providing for our bodies the kinds of food that will keep us in the most perfect health.
It will astonish a great many people no doubt, to know that the following list of vegetables are all valuable to some extent from a health standpoint, and that the consumption of each of them will normally be accompanied by certain definite effects on the human system.
14 vegetables with the best health benefits:
- Asparagus: Gently stimulates the kidneys.
- Beets: Relieves gravel and readjusts certain internal disorders of women.
- Carrots: For kidney complaint; used for poultices; powdered seed relieves colic; promotes secretions of the kidneys; laxative.
- Celery: Good for rheumatism and neuralgia.
- Cucumbers: For clear complexion.
- Horseradish: Tonic for digestion; produces secretions of the kidneys; syrup cures hoarseness; tea said to benefit neuralgia and rheumatism.
- Navy Beans: Relieves erysipelas when poultice is applied to the affected parts.
- Onion: Promotes digestion; acts on the liver by increasing the secretion of the bile; cure for constipation; poultice for bronchitis and chronic cough; taken for worms and for whooping cough, intestinal and stomach trouble.
- Parsley: Hot infusion made from one ounce of fresh root drunk freely, increases secretions of urine in case of dropsy and relieves women’s complaints. Parsley juice for kidney cleansing and liver detoxification.
- Pumpkin: Good for tape worms, retention of urine and inflammation of bladder and bowels.
- Rhubarb: Purgative and laxative.
- Strawberries: Lotion used as a skin beautifier.
- Tomato: Cure for cholera infantum; now used instead of orange juice by some physicians for infants; sliced tomato rubbed on skin is good for freckles and sunburn.
- Watermelon: Clears skin.